Alternative sentencing and Reintegration
SSYDR offers alternative sentencing to the Magistracy and probation services to allow youth second chance opportunities. Reintegration services are also offered to youth coming out of the criminal and juvenile justice system. This system of reintegration provides petty offenders with the opportunity to become productive members of society. The approach that was developed under the USAID SKYE project employs a system of coaching, training and linking to livelihood opportunities.
- Identify, engage & prepare key family members in reentry plan
- Identify and engage additional resources who can support part of the child’s reentry plan (relatives, community members, friends)
- Engage relevant government agencies to provide support families in preparing for return and supporting youth upon return.
Housing & Living Arrangements
- Work with family to determine living arrangements & finalize release address
- Itemize needs and expectations of home environment
- Establish house rules and agreements among home residents for curfews, chores, contributions, etc.
- Assist family in establishing realistic expectations for a child’s return
- Assess pre-release literacy and educational level of child
- Determine appropriate target school and begin school enrollment process prior to release
- Schedule visit to school for child prior to release, if possible
- Assemble & deliver a discharge package of materials regarding the child to the receiving school with relevant work, grades, needs, accomplishments etc.
- Identify and support youth’s interests, skills, strengths
- Identify opportunities for livelihood in youth’s immediate family and community including famiy businessess, tourism, bush work
- Link youth to training, internships, and other opportunities
- Locate local job openings and assist youth with resume preparartion, interview practice etc.
Medical and Mental Health Care
- Conduct a health screening prior to child’s release
- Provide prescriptions for transitional period as necessary
- Provide referrals for continuing community-based care or clinics for youth with chronic health or mental heath issues
Aftercare Programming in the Community
- Provide structured case managment, support and supervision
- Proivde support to families to navigate conflict and set backs
- Leverage resources, services for youth and family
- Provide cognitive behavioral interventions and positive youth development opportunities to enhance ongoing learing
- Utilize restorative justice techniques to engage the community